Giving flowers on Valentine’s Day is a tradition that began back in the 1700´s, with the introduction of the flower language to Persians by the Swede, Charles II , but it is still a very popular one that is carried on to this day. In fact, flowers are still the most popular romantic gift, along with chocolate, for this special day celebrated by those in love. Not sure which flower to gift your darling this year? Here are the top five flowers that are sent out for Valentine’s Day.
1. Roses lead the pack as the number one romantic flower for lovers. These delicate flowers are much loved because of their message of love and the sweet aroma that emanates from their silky petals. They are so popular, in fact, that there are over 150 types of this beautiful flower! They have been bred to be disease resistant, for best aroma and for a wide variety of colors. Giving roses as a gift never has to be boring!
2. Carnations are the second most popular flower that is purchased for Valentine’s Day. This is possibly because they are generally lower priced than roses and are considered to be very romantic. The ruffled appearance is quite feminine and carnations make excellent flowers to give to women on this special and romantic day. They come in a variety of pretty colors to choose from, as well.
3. Lilies are another very popular flower this time of year. Romantic and elegant, these are high class flowers that give your Valentine’s Day gift a classy touch and bump it up a notch. Combined with high priced chocolates, they are the perfect way to say “I love you”. Lilies come in several colors including orange, pink, red and white, all of which are pretty romantic and make them very popular flowers both to give and to receive.
4. Alstroemeria is yet another popular flower for Valentine’s Day. This is very similar to the lily, in fact alstroemeria is often referred to as a Peruvian Lily or Lily of the Incas. A delicate blossom that is often variegated or spotted, these flowers are a beautiful gift for that special person in your life. Though you may not be able to pronounce the name, they are some of the most popular flowers given this time of year.
5. Tulips are the final flower on our top five list. Simple, yet elegant, they are very romantic and make an ideal gift for the uncomplicated woman who enjoy beauty in its simplest form. These flowers are sold by the thousands during the Season of Love, in every color under the sun, with red and pink being the most popular for Valentine’s Day.
There you have it, the top five sold Valentines Day flowers. Each of these blooms is popular for its very own reason, whether for beauty, tradition or aroma. It’s a good idea to consider what your sweetheart prefers before investing in a bouquet. Some women hate roses, for example, so you want to be sure that the flowers you select are ones that she will enjoy the most.